Looking for a delicious and easy Keto cornbread recipe – that tastes like the real deal?
This easy keto cornbread recipe is absolutely delicious. It makes a perfect accompaniment to a hearty keto chili, or even delicious on its own!
I’ve made low carb bread before, but this has to be the BEST keto/low carb bread I’ve made by far.
Although it has ZERO cornflour in it- it’s taste/texture is super similar to real cornbread.
Everyone in my family happily chowed down- even my picky eaters grabbed seconds!
Is Cornmeal OK for keto diet?
While cornmeal is the traditional ingredient that’s used to make cornbread, it’s also high in carbs. Cornmeal has 22 net carbs per 1/4 cup. So no it’s not the best option for those on a low carb/keto diet.
To make your cornbread low carb and and mimic the the texture and flavour of cornmeal you can use almond flour/coconut flour (3 net carbs in 1/4 cup almond flour) mixed in with some sweet corn extract.
This sweet corn extract, contains 0.9 carbs per 1/4 tsp (which is what you would use for the entire loaf), making it an excellent low carb flavouring option to help mimic the cornmeal taste in any baking item.
Coconut Flour Vs Almond Flour
Although this keto cornbread recipe uses coconut flour, you can substitute it for almond flour if you want. They both have different tastes in baking and cooking, so you can use whichever you like better. You can buy both flours on Amazon, here’s a brand I love: coconut flour and almond flour.
Below I’ve listed some key differences between coconut flour and almond flour, which I thought would be helpful before you decide which flour to use.
- Coconut flour is the dried flesh from a coconut.
- Almond flour is made from blanched/skinned almonds
- 3 net carbs in 1/4 cup almond flour
- Coconut flour is very absorbent so it needs more liquid (eggs or butter) to mix with it.
- Almond flour isn’t suitable for nut-free cooking/baking
- Coconut flour is cheaper to use
- Substitute 1 cup almond flour for every 1/2 cup of coconut flour.
What to Serve with Keto cornbread?
Cornbread makes a yummy side dish on the keto diet and can be served along with many mains. Here is some idea:
- Keto Chili con carne
- Roast Chicken or Pork
- BBQ meats
- Butter and sugar-free jam
- Fried Chicken and Cauliflower mash
How to Make Keto Cornbread
I used a skillet to make the keto cornbread, but if you don’t have a skillet then you can use a pie dish or an 8×8 baking dish.
The reason I use a cast-iron skillet in my cooking is that I find it makes the food taste better- plus it ads some extra iron to your diet, by just cooking in it!
If you’re making a sweet cornbread, then you’ll need to add in a Keto-friendly sweetener. I personally use stevia to substitute for sugar but there are other options too.
Here’s some more sweetener options that work with the Keto/low carb diet:
Your cornbread will be ready when its golden yellow on the top, like the picture below.
Keto Low Carb Cornbread
Make this easy Keto-friendly cornbread that tastes like the real thing!
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 tbsp stevia
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Optional: 1/4 tsp. Amoretti sweet corn extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all your dry ingredients in a bowl (coconut flour, salt, stevia, baking soda, garlic powder)
- Add in the wet ingredients into the dry (eggs, melted butter, cream, sweet corn extract), and mix with a whisk/baking spatula until well mixed.
- If working with coconut flour, let the batter sit for at least 2 minutes (to let the flour swell with the liquid).
- Grease a skillet or 8x8 baking dish, and evenly spoon the mixture into it. Put into the preheated oven
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the top is golden and when poked with a fork, the fork comes out clean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 15gSodium: 300mgmgCarbohydrates: 4ggNet Carbohydrates: 1ggFiber: 3ggSugar: 1ggSugar Alcohols: 0ggProtein: 4gg